Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Lathe Recommendation  

Dale Stewart
Admin
Topic starter
(@dstewart)

Club member Dave Ginsburg is looking into buying a full size lathe.  He would like your recommendations and why you would recommend it.  

3 Replies
gbriggsmtroad@gmail.com
(@gbriggsmtroadgmail-com)

Hello,

I purchased a new Laguna lathe in July of 2020. It is a model 15-24. With all of the accessories I purchased the cost was about $2500.00. It was packaged very well and instructions were OK for me to assemble it. 
After using it lightly for about 4 months I could hear a bearing howling in the head stock. I called Laguna and was told that a tech would be calling me. A few days later I did receive a call from  their warranty dept in Texas and I was told that a new bearing would be sent to me. I asked who would be changing this bearing and the answer was, you are! I asked why and was told that Laguna will supply the necessary parts but the owner is responsible to make the repairs and if the owner cannot make the repairs to hire a mechanic that could! 
The instructions they sent were very poor and incorrect. Also Laguna sent the wrong bearings two times and the inside pulley was also defective. They are very hard to get a hold of and will not return a phone call. They did finally send the correct bearing and a replacement pulley.
With all of this I cannot recommend purchasing a Laguna lathe or any other Laguna product!
Thanks,
Gary Briggs
Dale Stewart
Admin
Topic starter
(@dstewart)

This is from Bill Housely:

The MOST important thing to think about in buying a lathe is to get one that is much bigger and more powerful that you think you need. Ought to look at 3 hp. Ought to be able to turn reasonably large diameters. Of course, the Robust lathe—their big one—is to die for but the Laguna lathe at Rockler looks decent if you get the 3 hp version and the price is much more reasonable. Spend a good deal on sharpening tools. Nothing more important.

1 Reply
shessert
(@shessert)

@dstewart

I have a Jet 1640 EVS that I bought in 2010, which is for sale. New it costs about $2200 at this time. I would sell it for $1400. Has 4 tool rests that would go with it and a live center. 1 1/2 HP; runs on 110 power. You pick it up in Cumberland.  Steve Hessert

207 318 3932

Share: